Monday, February 15, 2010

Calf fix

These cows and calves belong to neighbors of ours who start their calving season right after the first of January. I know I am not the only one in the area who drives by there to see the calves on a frequent basis. I say that it gives me a glimmer of hope that spring is somewhere on the horizon to see the new calves, even though it is cold and snowy. This has been an especially tough time to come into the world in western North Dakota this year. We have had large amounts of snow, a lot of wind and numerous days and nights of subzero cold. This morning several hours before this photo was taken, our temperature was - 25F.  On sunny days like today and damp cloudy, dreary ones too, those little black calves can be seen crooking their tails and running silly! Our calves will be doing the same thing when they arrive later in the spring. Until the arrival of our calves, I'll have to get my "calf fix" from the neighbor's pasture!

No comments: