Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My adventure for today....shhhh it WAS a secret!


We have had a lot of rain and snow the past week. Needless to say, the ground is very soft! I was feeding this morning and trying to get the hay and straw bales rolled out between some brush patches so the cows and calves would have shelter from the wind. All was going fine until I got stuck.I really didn't want any one to know because my  husband and son tease me so bad. I could not get the truck  out of the mud so I walked about a mile and a half to get the tractor. Thank goodness, it wasn't raining  today! After returning with the tractor, I worked on getting the truck pulled out and my luck stuck. The tractor was getting  stuck! This meant I had to call for some help. I tried my father-in-law who would be understanding and keep my secret. No luck there, he and my mother-in-law were in town evidently. Very  reluctantly I tried a neighbor, no one home there either. I tried my husband who was 100 or so miles away hauling out in the oil field. No anwser there or shoulder to cry on. I tried my son out of desperation.
I did reach him and he was actually on his way home. As much as I hated to, I told him what had happened and he said he would be there in a little bit. After talking to him, my cell phone rang, and it was my husband. He asked what I was doing and I told him not much! Knowing me as well as he does, he asked me what was wrong. My evasive anwser wouldn't do and I tearfully told him what had happened. He just kind of chuckled and reminded me that I knew he had gotten stuck like that before too. He told me not to worry about it and just wait for my help to arrive. I did feel better, although, now both my husband and son  knew I had gotten stuck. Help was on the way and I guessed I could put up with the teasing that loomed ahead.                                                                                    

I felt lucky that I had something besides the radio to listen to. I n the past I always had a book with me in case I had to wait  for something or someone. Now I usually have my Zune to listen to as I drive to town or even when I am out feeding cattle. A Mother's Day present last year from one of my sons, it lets me download music, podcasts or books from the internet. Today I was listening to a book titled, "Mornings on Horseback." It is about Theodore Roosevelt who in his 20's ranched in our area in the mid 1880's.  The snow squalls had stopped while I enjoyed my "book" and the cattle and I enjoyed the company of each other.                                                                                                                 

Eventually my son arrived on a four-wheeler, we got the truck and tractor out of the mud. After moving to ground that was a little more solid, with the cattle following, I finally got the last two bales rolled out. So much for no one knowing I had gotten stuck!  Let the teasing begin!!!                                                                   

2 comments:

Linda said...

I'm laughing! I got a call from the husband yesterday after he didn't bother to listen to me when I said I didn't think he could get to the south pairs in the feed truck. I wanted to answer it "I'm sorry the number you have dialed is not in service at this time" but I took the tractor down and pull him out like a good little wifey.

Rambling said...

Are we related?