Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sunday Stills "Sepia"




 The first two photos are of the old church at Trotters, Golden Valley, ND. Located about 35 miles north of our ranch, it got it's start in the 1910's during the homestead era. A small farming town, it eventually just dwindled down to just the church and another building which once housed a store and gas station.  Trotters sits in ranching country which is beginning to see increased oil activity. Lately it seems that there is a new oil well in the area monthly. I have family that lived at Trotters during the time it was still alive. They are buried at the cemetery about two miles away. The second photos are of  the school in about ten miles north of Trotters in Williams County, ND. I am not sure how long ago that it was "retired" It looks like it is in good repair even the playground equipment.





7 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

WOW! Awesome photos! That first one speaks to me. I wish I could read what you wrote, but the tiny purple cursive font on the black background is too difficult for me even with my reading glasses. lol!

~Lisa

Shirley said...

So lonely and forlorn looking, these buildings once filled with people. It's nice that you have a family historical connection to them.

Anonymous said...

these are nicely composed, i like the sepia toning as well

Anonymous said...

These are all swesome, and also sad. Well done.

I don't know how close you are to Minot, but my prayers go out to those folks, and the loss of the town.

Oregon Equestrian said...

Great shots. Especially like the old church.

Michaele said...

New follower here : ) So glad to meet you! I have many, many relatives in ND. I look forward to getting to know you.

Brenda said...

perfect photos! I really think the clouds in the first photo help to make it just awesome!